Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Winter Wonderland

We used to live in Raleigh and I remember everybody dreading the onset of winter. Call me crazy but I liked winter back then but now that I live in the mountains...I love winter. Don't get me wrong I like spring, summer and fall too but there's just something neat about winter.
View from our home office

There's a lot special about winter in our mountains. The winter air brings a cleansing that makes you feel really alive. It's that refreshing non-polluted breathe of fresh air that I like best. Not only that but the clear air sure makes long range views something else. Come to think about it we have fresh air the year 'round and great views too.

People assume that just because you live in the mountains it snows all of the time; not true. I've never seen it snow in July (just kidding). But when it does snow it's really an exciting time. Mix one part snow with one part cool air and one part winter scenery and you've got the makings of a Norman Rockwell painting. There's nothing like taking a hike soon after a snowfall and looking back at the path, it's like you're the first person to ever set foot on this part of the planet.

Friends who don't live here talk about their idea of winter clothing when in the mountains. They think you have to bundle up from head to toe. Most days I get away with exactly what they wear on a winter day. Layering your clothing makes for a manageable system. Fleece jacket, long sleeve shirt, pants and hiking shoes is my normal December through February attire. Add long johns when Ray's Weather predicts 'very cold' and you're good to go. Actually I've only worn my long johns twice this season so far. Side note: after proof reading this paragraph I sound like a fashion critic... somebody save me!

I mentioned Ray's Weather our source for weather prognostication. I can't speak highly enough about Ray. He and his staff hit the weather prediction mark dead center 99% of the time. I check Ray's Weather everyday and use it to plan outdoor activities. If you're planning a visit to Ashe County then check it out first: Ray's Weather

Wildlife, in my eyes, seem to have it tough in cold weather but in reality I see them move about as though it's just another season. We keep bird feed out for the birds and they squirrels enjoy it. Our deer friends mill around munching on whatever they can find this time of year. Occasionally we throw out cut off greens from supper to supplement their diet and they seem to really like it. We've always put out a few fresh pumpkins for our fall decoration in anticipation of Thanksgiving. The pumpkins stay fresh through November but then they disappear about the time we're ready to discard them. One morning we witnessed two deer enjoying one of the pumpkins and within an hour it was totally gone...case solved.

Last year I had my skis tuned in anticipation of winter but finishing our house took precedence and they never touched powder. This year is going to be different. I'm planning a few trips to some of our nearby ski resorts. We're within a short drive to some really nice powder. Here's some links to whet your skiing appetite: Sugar Mountain Resort   Beech Mountain Resort   Appalachian Ski Mountain
On our walk

It's January and we're experiencing snowfall here on the mountain. I'm going to head out today and play in the snow...remember those days? I believe we hit a record here on Bald Mountain minus 17 degrees with minus 50 degree wind chill. Something about a Siberian front that hit the bulk of the nation. Normally it's very nice up here where the birds soar.

A picture is worth a thousand words...enjoy!








If at first you don't succeed, you're about average. - unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment